Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wound Care Tent & sending lots of love




I miss the Wound Care Tent. Early afternoon on Day 1 I was brought over to the Wound Care Tent where I would spend the rest of my time in Haiti. My job was to organize the wound care supplies, set up a system and work with the crews. Ahh, the crews! What terrific people! I met hardworking men and women from all over the world. They are nurses and EMT's and just great people. A whoop whoop and shout out to Kay in Australia!

Since 85-90% of the patients have a myriad of wounds from falling concrete, burns, lacerations, etc. it's just too much, along with everything else for the nurses to take care of so the wound care area was born.

Dr. MacDonald, meet Christine...I don't know if Doc was ready for me but we both had a quirky brand of humor and we got along like a house a fire!

I felt needed and wanted and empowered while in Haiti. I felt like I was doing some good for the people and also helping out the teams to be just a little bit more efficient. And I have to mention that it helped me. I wouldn't say that I am a selfish person but I do get down and out sometimes, being in Haiti and seeing those patients and interacting with the workers just opened my heart more and I am a better person now.

I'm a smiler (is that a word?) I like to smile, I think that a smile is universal. And it doesn't hurt that I had a stash of candy in my "tent" to give out to our great military. I fixed their boo boos when they came in to camp and sent them on their way with a clean wound and some twizzlers! I like to think that I made them happy. Everyone worked so hard! I miss you all so much.

Dee from Switzerland was so terrific! She and I had some wonderful chats and she gave me some advice about coming home that really helped me. I read on her Facebook that she is back in Haiti already. You go girl! I hope to see you again soon.

Erika will be on The Doctors TV show on February 17th talking about her time in Haiti and about wound care. Everyone tune in!!

That's it for tonight! I am really missing working down there and hope to get back soon. I am working on it with Lisa and Michelle and crew so we'll see!!

Sweet dreams everyone!

No comments: