Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Joelle, the little boy who stole my heart

The day before I left Haiti while I was in the WC Tent and it was hot, I was contemplating another bottle of water when I heard a shuffle. I looked up at the entrance to the area and there was a woman holding a little boy. His sweet little face a little dirty but those big eyes shining.

Sherry, the lady who was holding him asked for some Pedialyte and water. I gave them to her and then took the little boy in to my arms. He drank a little and then snuggled up on my shoulder, face to my neck and fell asleep. I just melted. I could feel his breath on my neck and I just fell in love. I worked around the tent handing out supplies and working while I was holding this little precious while he slept.

Sherry told me his story and am SO glad I had my Jackie O sunglasses on because the tears just started. While her group was in the mountains working giving food and assistance they helped out with getting the locals settled. When their helicopter came to take them out and back to PAP an older gentleman ran up and threw the little boy in to the helicopter. She said he hadn't spoken at all and didn't know much about him. This made me hold him even tighter. What a sweetheart. His tiny arms around my neck and the feel of his sweaty little face. WOW!

When he woke up he wrapped his fingers around my hand and wouldn't let go. I asked an interpreter to come over and talk to him. The interpreter ask him his name and he said Joelle. How old, "Three." Then the interpreter ask his how he was doing and he said, "Some good. Some bad." When I was told this I just about lost it! This kid had been through hell and there was nothing I could do but hold him tight and kiss his head over and over.

Joelle told the interpreter that he was hungry so Sherry went to the Supply Tent and got some rice and beans. Joelle ate it all and then wanted more but he needed to take a break and not eat too much. What a cutie. After he ate he perked up and sat up in my lap. He put his elbow up on my boob like the back of a couch and rested his head on his hand. It was hysterical and I was glad to help. Several people came out and took pictures of us sitting there like that. It was funny!
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of him.

Way too soon it was time for Sherry to take Joelle to the orphanage and get him settled. She went to take him from me and he clung to me, then shook his head no. I was so emotional and hated to let this little guy go. I kissed his cheeks and his head and then let him go. I don't know and won't know what ever happened to him. I just hope and pray that he is healthy and happy and having fun. I hope he goes to a terrific and loving family.

This boy touched me in my heart and took a piece of it with him. I hope my thoughts, prayers and good energy reach him and that he has a good life. Who knows, maybe we will run in to each other again some day.


No comments: