Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day One Notes


It's an effort for me today to not be bitter towards society. I drove to a meeting this morning, the furthest I've driven from home since coming back from Haiti, and I have had to check myself more than a few times. I'm bitter toward others and keep wanting to shout at them: Why are you honking at that person the light JUST turned green? Be nice and let someone have the good parking space you can walk just fine. Must you make that gesture?? I am trying not to be judgmental because really it should start with me right, but it's just one of those days. I need to crawl back in to my hole for another day and ease out again tomorrow.

Instead of continuing with day-to-day I decided to copy some of the thoughts I jotted down on day one in Haiti while I was getting to know my role and watching others around me by the Wound Care tent. I think it speaks volumes and reading it makes me feel a little better.

Day 1:

Well, I've already cried a little. Imagine that, me emotional. What right do I have to cry, I just got here!? These beautiful people are so strong. I am working in the Wound Care Tent organizing the medical supplies and patient list for the crew. It's been 8 hours but I have made it my own and plan on making this as efficient as possible so the wound crew can get to as many patients as possible. I want the patients to remain comfortable. Also, I see the people in the out-patient area and I want them prioritized because it's hot and uncomfortable.

I am learning the different names of the supplies and what's funny is the different countries have different names for things, for example: The padding that goes underneath a patient to capture fluids the Americans call a "chuck' the Aussies call it a "bluie". It's like a game show. One of the guys from the Netherlands came in and said, "I don't know this in English but when you get a splinter this gets it out." Oooooo, pick me pick me! The answer is Tweezers!

At different times of the day patients come in. Ebb and Flow.

11pm:
Today a woman has been sitting outside of my tent holding her very tiny baby. The baby has a head wound and it has been changed but she just sits. She has been given food and supplies for the baby but still sits. I don't know exactly how long she's been here but I'm going on 12 hours. She doesn't want to go home. Really, what home? Here she can eat and have clean water. People are sleeping in the streets even if they have a home because they are afraid to be under a roof. This makes me want to work harder.

God Bless them all and God Bless the workers. I am getting excited for the cot. It's almost midnight now. Really I need to organize my bags but to do that I would have to stay awake and I am not willing to lose a minute of sleep. I want to be fresh and ready for tomorrow. P.S. I hear they pump AC in to the tent at night - I'm ready to find out for myself.

Good night.

No comments: