Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Last Full Day In Haiti


Hello everyone. Well, it has been a crazy, good, bad, sad, unbelievable 10 days. Sometimes it feels like I got here yesterday and sometimes it feels like I have been here a year.

The emotional roller coaster is the hardest to deal with and it's essential that we keep our emotions in check. If you know me you know that keeping my emotions to myself is a tough one. BUT here I do it well. In one day we saw a birth, 3 deaths, an orphan come in, heard gunshots at night (don't worry I am fine on base), heard the wailing of a grieving parent and then the singing of children. It's up and down and up and down and I wouldn't want to be any where else.

It's hard sometimes to sit out in the "quad" with a cold soda and a cheeseburger having a good chat and knowing that less than 20 yards from you is an isolation tent with a dying patient and 40 yards away is the morgue. It's hard to see but necessary for the volunteers to relax and let off some steam. This is an important element of survival here and that is to bond with others around you.

To help me relax I hold the babies. I have fallen for one in particular. Will post her picture here.

Home soon, so many stories in my head and hope to get them out once back. WOW! Third time, can't believe it.

2 comments:

David Driscoll said...

Cheeseburger!? How did you score that?

Anonymous said...

Exciting posts, good read A+ blog

Happy Easter Holidays!!!

Come follow me:
http://showmestatedogs.blogspot.com