Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

It's Been A While...but I'mmmmm Baacckkkk!

Hello all. It has been way too long since I bucked up and wrote in this blog. I was intimidated by someone who didn't like my writing. Too many grammatical errors. I quit writing out of fear. Really?! I had the most intense times of my life in Haiti, learned the most I've ever learned in my life and saw things that you would think would teach me to NOT be intimidated by the small things.

Well, I'm back.

Someone else said to me this last weekend. Get over it, you're a teacher and people listen to you so just get over it. Write. No matter what.

Since coming back from Las Vegas in April a lot has changed. I came back after spending 5 days with my Haiti friends talking and basically coming down from the last trip to PAP. Speaking to a great group of people, talking with and singing with this crowd that was so hyped up to help out the people of Haiti. Speaking with these people and telling about my time at Project Medishare again and again made me realize just how materialistic I was and I wanted to pare down big time, I wanted to change.

If you spoke to my friends and family I think they'd say I was a lot of things other than materialistic but truth is I have a nice car, a nice home, I'm never hungry, I have my health, my friends and my family. We are accessible to each other and able to be here for each other. I came home from Las Vegas and said, 'We've been talking about selling the house and moving and starting fresh. We've wanted to change our lives for years, let's do it.'

Three weeks later the house was on the market, we had done one purge on the house and I had mentally moved on. Fast forward through the summer where I kept in touch with Jordan and we put money in to a pay pal account for him to get his passport and to take care of his family. Good thoughts and prayers were all I could give Haiti over the summer.

Mid-August the house went under contract and the job of packing up the house, getting all of the inspections (which frankly turned in to a nightmare), finding contacts in Phoenix, etc. and the next thing you know it's beginning of November and we're house free, packed and on the road.

Thanks to my friends (thank you Christine) and family (thanks Amy, thanks Lee!), and Laura Maurice from The Purple Cow who held a shoe drive at her store I was able to pack up 3 large boxes of kids shoes and clothing for the school in Fontamara, Haiti.

Now in Arizona looking for work. I was asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said, 'I want to go to Haiti!' So I am now looking for airfare and dates and hope to be leaving for 2 weeks to help at the school late November or early December!
Yeah!

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: